Wednesday, February 20, 2013

65. W40K Photo-Play

Warhammer 40K - Tyranid Infestation 
(a short story in pictures)

Investigate:  Scene 1
 There have been strange reports from the planet. Send someone to investigate.

Arrival
 Materialized right on target, inside the force field.

Discovery
Wait, what's that in the distance?

Uh-Oh. 
That can't be good.

Don't Turn Around
Mr. Investigator is in a bit of trouble....

Investigate:  Scene 2
A missing Investigator, an ancient crashed spaceship. Oh yeah, this is a great place to materialize.

Arrival
Just a small squad, pulled in no particular order from the shelf...er, I mean, the crew room.

Spread Out!
"Search pattern Alpha!  Go!"

Yoo-Hoo
"Are you guys looking for me?  It was a tight spot, but the Emperor guided my shots and I escaped."

Means of Our Salvation
"...and I found this old power coupling in the wreck.  We can set it to overload and blow the beasts up."

Stealthy Approach
"Wait.  Do you hear something behind us?"

Chittering Horde
"Raarrgghh!"

Calm Assessment
"Captain, your orders?"
"Retreat pattern...anything!"

Rack Focus
Ooooo, coooool.  Those are not Friendlies.

A Fighting Retreat
"Back to the teleport homer!  Go!  Go!"

Sell Your Life Dearly
"I'll cover your withdrawal, sir!"

Bravery
"You want some of this?"
{dakka} {dakka} {dakka}
"Raaarrgghh!"


Man Down!
One against the horde is not enough.  But did he at least get the power coupling into overload?

Force Field
"Recall!  Now!"

Teleportation is Good
{blink}

It's Not Noticed by the Animals
{beep} {beep} {beep}

{swarm swarm swarm}
{beep} {beep} {beep}

Ka--
{beep} {beep} {beep} beepbeepbeepbeeeeeep...

{click}

--Boooom!
"We lost a good man down there."


The end.



Thanks for reading.  I created this story several years ago (Feb 2009, actually) and posted it online on Flickr.com because it was before I had this nifty blog.  Inspired by the General Pettygree photo-play I wanted to try my hand at telling a story in pictures.  These figures were all I had nearby, plus I think I had just finished painting the crashed spaceship and craters, so I wanted to show them off.  The Space Marines and Tyranids I had painted from a long time before.

I decided to re-post the story here for a wider audience (snicker, yeah, all my many fans, all three of you) than would ever see it on Flickr, plus the format here is a little better for this sort of thing.  I think it's kind of a cool little story; captures the feel of the 40K Universe, which, say what you will about Games Workshop, I do like their UniverseThis is all pure made-up story, no game mechanics were used or dice were rolled at all.

"For the Emperor!"

2 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, sir. I enjoyed it. Nice Space Marines and great-looking Tyranids, by the way.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it, the looks and the theme
    cheers

    ReplyDelete